As a Principal Engineer for the Shopbop | East Dane subsidiary, you will be responsible for guiding the architectural decisions supporting this subsidiary. You will be responsible for contributing to or leading the design of our most ambitious systems design efforts. You will contribute substantially to initiatives such as the development of innovative new products/services/features that enhance the customer experience at Shopbop | East Dane. You will work across the organization to bring innovation into the mobile space. You will work with individual teams to ensure all systems can scale at a pace that matches the ever increasing demands of our rapidly growing business. You will identify and pursue opportunities to horizontally integrate technical solutions that include other Amazon teams and the broader Amazon Softlines Tech organization. You will drive the encapsulation of existing functionality behind discrete services which form a part of our larger company-wide service oriented architecture. You will also lead the proactive identification of common problem spaces across teams and ensure we build single, best-in-class solutions to meet common needs without undue restriction on the agility of individual business verticals. You will help drive the direction and overall development of a world class technology organization and be at the center of all key system level decisions.
While accomplishing all of the above, as an initial area of deeper focus, you will lead the updating of the service definition, frameworks and other general architecture improvements across all of Shopbop | East Dane systems. You will review these systems to determine how best to migrate the software from a powerful but fairly monolithic system to a series of services that will enable the system to scale across multiple properties and domains, allowing Shopbop | East Dane to maximize value across the enterprise. You will determine how to extend the system into a platform that serves not only Shopbop.com, but also could support the broader Amazon Softlines business.
As a senior technical individual contributor, the person in this role will join the ranks of a large and growing community of Amazon Principal, Senior Principal, and Distinguished Engineers. As such, you’ll be a technical leader not only in Shopbop | East Dane but across the Amazon Softlines Tech organization that supports Amazon Softlines core business. You will lead and participate in design reviews, architecture discussions and other technical leader activities within Amazon Softlines.You’ll help establish technical standards and drive Shopbop | East Dane overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You’ll work on Shopbop | East Dane's hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs.
Shopbop.com/Amazon.com senior technical contributors are pragmatic visionaries who can translate business needs into workable technology solutions. Your expertise is deep and broad; you’re hands on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs.
As a Principal Engineer, you’ll be expected to:
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Contribute intellectual property through patent generation.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
- Effectively research and benchmark Shopbop | East Dane and Amazon technology against other best in class technologies.
- Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the Amazon developer community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader, builder and operator. You’ll have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or IT projects and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity, and demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.