We are building a new group that will change the way manufacturing is performed in one of Amazon’s market segments. This will be an industry shaping group that will lead significant cost and cycle time reduction. We are looking for an experienced engineer to architect and develop automation solutions for a manufacturing assembly environment. The candidate will develop, integrate, and deploy both commercially available and internally developed automation systems. These systems will be designed to interact with other automation, such as robotics, and people that help facilitate material placement and handling. The engineer will leverage external manufacturing partners and system integrators for detail design, build and integration to specification on a specific assembly application.
Engineer’s responsibility include:
- Identify requirements and milestones for leading development of automation systems.
- Benchmark performance of third party and internally derived automation systems against specifications and choose pragmatic solutions with long development tails and predictable timelines to implement on future efforts.
- Create guidelines for and collaborate with engineering and operations teams to set the bar for design for automation for assembly material handling processes. Define scope of work and description of operation.
- Work with highly-motivated and experienced mechanical, electrical, and robotics engineers to focus internal and external resources to maximize system overall equipment effectiveness measure (OEE), test solution performance, and minimize factory floor footprint through use of properly applied automation solutions.
- Create project specifications for systems integrators. Manage budget, schedule, and scope of design. Participate in simulation/emulation as needed. Design and implement automation systems in operational environments.
- Participate in strategic and tactical planning sessions to provide leadership guidance on automation strategy and opportunities.
- Work with the Financial Analyst to evaluate automation systems through cost analysis and capital expenditure requests to justify automation projects.
- In conjunction with analyst and team leads, develop metrics for systems, targeting increased optimization of deployed automation.
- Prepare detailed requirements specifications for equipment and processes. This includes technical manuals in support of system debug and maintenance, training documentation, preventative maintenance plans and troubleshooting guides for newly established automation systems.
- Ensure automation equipment and processes are compliant with domestic and overseas regulatory agencies. Work with Safety Engineering from design phase through deployment to assure compliance.
- Be the technical expert in resolving technical issues related to deployed automation.
- Educate members of technology deployment and plant floor operation on automation system architecture, usability, and functionality.
- Travel to OEM, supplier integrator and manufacturing facilities to install automation systems.