Amazon’s Demand Forecasting team – part of the Supply Chain Optimization Technologies (SCOT) organization – develops and deploys sophisticated algorithms that involve learning from large amounts of data in order to forecast the demand of millions of products worldwide. These forecasts are used to automatically order more than $200 million worth of inventory weekly, establish labor plans for tens of thousands of employees, and predict the company’s financial performance. The work is complex and important to Amazon. With better forecasts we drive down supply chain costs, enabling the offer of lower prices and better in-stock selection for our customers.
We are seeking a Data Scientist with strong machine learning, analytical, communication, and project management skills to join our team. As part of a multi-skilled team, you will help identify and solve complex prediction problems to improve forecast accuracy based on new data that were not previously used in forecasting. Also, you will develop metrics and reports to measure our impact on Amazon’s business. In a typical day, you will work closely with retail leads, product managers, engineers, and various business groups.
You are an individual with outstanding analytical and machine learning modeling abilities, excellent communication skills, good business understanding, and technically savvy. The successful candidate will be an analytical problem solver who enjoys diving into data, is excited about investigations and algorithms, can multi-task, and can credibly interface between technical teams and business stakeholders.
- Build statistical, predictive and machine learning models to drive forecasting accuracy.
- Ensure data quality throughout all stages of acquisition and processing, including data sourcing/collection, ground truth generation, normalization, and transformation.
- Influence leaders to make thoughtful data decisions to provide the most consistent and usable data for all teams across the company.
- Combine expert knowledge of statistical methodology and analysis with advanced programming skills to support complex analyzes.
- Share/develop best practices with other Amazon teams on a global scale.
- Build metrics, reports and dashboard to analyze key inputs to SCOT Forecasting systems.