Amazon aims to exceed the expectations of our customers by ensuring that their orders, no matter how large or small, are delivered as quickly, accurately, and cost effectively as possible. To meet this goal, Amazon has invested in Amazon Logistics, a world class last mile operation. We are looking for a dynamic, resourceful, and organized Senior Research Scientist within Amazon Logistics’ Amazon Flex organization to develop new, data-driven solutions to support the most critical components of this rapidly scaling operation.
As part of the Last Mile Science & Technology organization, you’ll partner closely with Science, Product, Tech, and Program teams to design innovative solutions to organizational and business problems, using statistical best practices to justify design decisions using data. You will be expected to be a subject matter expert in quantitative analysis and to communicate highly complex findings to multiple audiences. The ability to understand and measure human behavior is a highly valuable asset – we want to understand our drivers and treat them fairly. You may come from any one of a variety of quantitative backgrounds, but you must be comfortable with multiple modeling techniques, be able to acquire new techniques with practice, and be willing to show flexibility in finding the right technique to match the research problem.
In addition to designing meaningful research questions and analyzing the resulting data, you must be able to see a full loop vision that goes beyond experimentation to conceptualizing design solutions, collaborating closely with multiple teams to ensure the relevance and impact of your work to business stakeholders. You will be responsible for developing new predictive and optimization models, as well as algorithms for key applications and discovering new ways to solve organizational problems. You will be expected to be a thought leader as we chart new courses with our delivery support technologies. Successful candidates will have a deep knowledge of quantitative modelling in at least one area (ML, optimization, multivariate statistics), the ability to build and refine prototype models that can be implemented in production, the communication skills necessary to explain complex technical approaches to a variety of stakeholders and customers, and the excitement to take iterative approaches to tackle big, long-term problems.
· Conceptualize and lead global research initiatives
· Guide the technical approach for the design and implementation of successful models and algorithms in support of expert cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects.
· Conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages of the analysis process, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results
· Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
· Share deep knowledge in statistics, machine learning, multivariate modeling, or optimization research applicable to our problem space.
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, you know how to deliver, and you are deeply quantitative, highly innovative, and long for the opportunity to build pioneering solutions to challenging problems, we want to talk to you.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation