Amazon Web Services is a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. We are building some of the largest and most complex distributed systems in the world, and we need world class people to help us implement and operate them.
AWS built a specialized group of service teams responsible for the work we are doing with the U.S. Intelligence Community. Engineers on these teams implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems. To continue being an industry leader in this space we are in constant need for highly skilled engineers that currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
To meet this demand we designed a unique interviewing opportunity for candidates that hold this desired clearance. Our interviewing model occurs in two phases and is focused on aligning you with the right role and the team that needs you the most!
- Phase one is the phone screen, where you will interview with an engineer to focus on your technical and cultural aptitude for AWS.
- Phase two is the on-site, where you will have the opportunity to continue demonstrating your skills while also meeting with two different service team managers.
This model is available for Support Engineers, Systems Engineers, and Systems Development Engineers that currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph. This specific requisition is for a Senior Systems Development Engineers in Herndon, VA.
As a Senior Systems Development Engineer:
- You are considered a technical leader for your team.
- You work efficiently and routinely deliver the right things with limited guidance.
- Your work focuses on ambiguous problem areas in existing or new development initiatives.
- You take a long term view of your team’s systems and how they fit into the architecture.
- You proactively fix architecture deficiencies and/or propose projects that have significant business and/or customer impact, which may require the work of your team.
- You split that work into parallel tasks that can be performed by you and others and then reassembled successfully.
- You are an exceptional diagnostician when resolving operational or performance issues encountered in your team’s systems.
- You understand the business impact of your systems and show good judgment when making technical trade-offs between your team’s short-term technology or operational needs and long-term business needs.
- You are a key influencer in team strategy.
- You drive mindful discussions with customers and peers.
- You bring perspective and provide context for current technology choices and guide future technology choices.
- You understand that not all problems are new (or require new development).
- Your technical contributions and approach to work are exemplary – your solutions are inventive, secure, easily maintainable, appropriately scalable, and extensible.
- When you write software it is easy for others to contribute to.
- You take ownership of team architecture, providing a system-wide view and design guidance.
- You make things simpler.
- You drive engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards.
- You work to resolve the root cause of endemic problems including areas where your team limits the innovation of other teams (bottlenecks). This may require you to influence technology decisions made by other teams.
- When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path (build consensus).
- You actively recruit and help others leverage your expertise, by coaching and mentoring in your organization (or at your location).
- You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices.
- You ensure your team is stronger because of your presence, but does not require your presence to be successful.