Amazon Web Services is a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. We are building some of the largest and most complex distributed systems in the world, and we need world class people to help us implement and operate them.
AWS built a specialized group of service teams responsible for the work we are doing with the U.S. Intelligence Community. Engineers on these teams implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems. To continue being an industry leader in this space we are in constant need for highly skilled engineers that currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
To meet this demand we designed a unique interviewing opportunity for candidates that hold this desired clearance. Our interviewing model occurs in two phases and is focused on aligning you with the right role and the team that needs you the most!
- Phase one is the phone screen, where you will interview with an engineer to focus on your technical and cultural aptitude for AWS.
- Phase two is the on-site, where you will have the opportunity to continue demonstrating your skills while also meeting with two different service team managers.
This model is available for Support Engineers, Systems Engineers, and Systems Development Engineers that currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph. This specific requisition is for Systems Development Engineers in Seattle, WA.
As a Systems Development Engineer:
- You use technology to solve straightforward problems, seeking input and guidance from team members.
- Your scope of work is at the small to mid-size component or feature level.
- You may create or have responsibility to improve or invent small tools or applications.
- You are able to take a defined project and turn it into an implementation and deliver it on schedule, applying appropriate technologies and current engineering best practices.
- The code you write is secure, stable, testable, maintainable, and has minimal defects.
- You are proficient in a broad range of technologies (hardware, software, networking, operating systems) and how they interact with one another in moderately complex systems.
- You make appropriate implementation trade-off decisions.
- You do not put the company at risk (e.g. pulling in unlicensed code, operating on production systems without appropriate change management, etc.).
- You participate in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions.
- You seek to learn the business context and technologies behind your team’s system implementations.
- You work effectively with customers and/or internal partners to understand business impacts and identify any opportunities/problems arising from technical decisions.
- You invent, refine and develop your solutions to ensure they are meeting customer needs and team goals.
- You are a passionate advocate for your customer.'
- You assume responsibility for the state of both the systems you inherit and the ones produce.
- You get your designs and implementations (code, operational readiness, deployment practices, system changes, or otherwise) reviewed.
- You test thoroughly.
- You classify, store, and handle data in accordance with Amazon policies.
- You track operational and security risks.
- You resolve, mitigate and/or escalate them in a timely manner.
- You understand the maintenance characteristics, runtime properties, and dependencies of your team’s infrastructure, including hardware platform, operating system, and build dependencies.
- You clearly document your systems to ensure that future generations of engineers understand the intention behind their implementation details.
- In the event of a problem, you are able to troubleshoot, research the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects.
- You remain calm under pressure when resolving issues and know when, and how, to engage other engineers or managers when appropriate.
- You provide excellent customer support.
- You take ownership of problems (even when outside your own domain), propose solutions, and either take ownership for their resolution or ensure a clear hand-off to the right owner.
- You participate in the interview process and help your team train and mentor interns.