Field Optimization Audit Engineer - Mechanical
Amazon’s Data Centers are industry leading examples of innovation in the areas of data center critical infrastructure design, space utilization, energy efficiency, and cost effectiveness. We are known for our speed to market, reliability, and lowest total cost of ownership. We are the global team responsible for ensuring that our industry leading Data Center facilities are standardized are operating per our latest design standards throughout the world. Our Engineers are on the forefront of creating and delivering the most innovative products to our customers; and are known for being a diverse and upbeat team that is continually improving the world of cloud computing. We continue to grow and are looking for individuals that can support our mission, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning. Amazon’s work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate. If you are a creative, smart, and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems, we want YOU!
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is seeking a Field Optimization Audit Engineer with an Mechanical Engineering background in mission critical facilities design, field, or operational engineering experience to become part of a global engineering team that is responsible for performing availability and performance audits of legacy data centers comparing them to our latest design standards. As engineers at Amazon, we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers via our resilient designs and cost effective systems. As one of our Field Optimization Engineers, you will work directly with our Design/Field Engineering, Construction, Operations, and Commissioning teams at the Data Centers within your assigned region to analyze problems with the existing fleet and develop/implement solutions specific to your region, and across the global fleet. You will be the engineering representative for each issue. Since we worked hard to develop a large scale fleet of Data Centers and drive continuous advancements and improvements within our designs, we will look to you for identifying design related gaps and availability risks then to provide suggestions for improving the availability/costs/performance/simplicity of our equipment and system designs. This will include reviewing existing designs and contributing your field experience to collaborate with the other Engineering teams to develop new systems and equipment. Amazon has a global presence, therefore, domestic and international travel will be necessary up to 50% of your time. Team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required tasks. This includes working with internal groups as well as external suppliers and consultants, including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
If you have an understanding of the critical equipment needs for large infrastructure mission critical sites and equipment; especially data centers, and understand the constructability of varying designs, you may be a good fit.
The Field Optimization Engineer will be responsible for the following:
· Understanding the design and functionality of the data centers within your assigned region(s)
· Traveling to different data center regions to conduct engineering evaluations of critical infrastructure designs, equipment performance, equipment settings, and commissioning results
· Interpreting/evaluating Single Line Drawings (SLD), as-built drawings, equipment submittals, equipment specifications documentation, and performance data
· Identifying differences in the existing data center designs from the Design Engineering team’s latest standards and specifications
· Creating detailed audit reports along with identifying solutions to remediate any immediate threats to our operations
· Leading internal teams to conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA), developing Corrective Action (CA) solutions/plans for design gaps and performance related problems, and reporting status of implementations
· Providing feedback to the Design Engineering teams for design revisions for new data centers as well as to Field Engineering for legacy data center upgrades
· Collaborating with Commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical/mechanical systems per the design intent; then using this data to calibrate our performance models.
· Reporting results of audits to Design and Field Engineering teams
· Working on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions
· Being a leader within the group as well as within other teams
· Being positive and always offer creative, out of the box solutions
· Having fun and working hard!