The Global Security Operations Center (GSOC) supports Amazon Operations by providing 24/7 services including alarm response, incident triage, and crisis management. The GSOC operates out of Goodyear, Arizona. The GSOC Systems team supports the GSOC by administrating, managing, and developing systems based on the priorities of the business. Each GSOC Systems Support Engineer takes on a combination of roles. The most common tasks this position will participate in are gathering customer requirements, managing issues, troubleshooting systems, documenting the supported systems, and managing backlogs.
The GSOC Systems Support Engineer is the main point of contact for any system related question or issue and will have a significant role in determining the vision and roadmap for the GSOC. We are a global organization and need to manage conflicting priorities from our own team and partners. Therefore, a strong background in prioritization techniques and coordinating with remote teams is essential. Moreover, the dissemination of information is critical to de-centralizing the support. We leverage internal wikis to maintain information concerning our systems and must maintain and consistently improve them. The support engineer will also be responsible for escalating bugs to the development team, and assisting in the prioritization of existing issues.
As a GSOC Systems Support Engineer, your job will be to:
- Work directly with customers to understand problems and capture requests for feature enhancements
- Convert customer requests into agile-like user stories
- Coordinate with technical teams, including engineers, analysts, and cross-functional groups
- Develop best practices, documentation, and sample templates
- Track and report on metrics which are key performance indicators, allowing performance improvements so that the desired outcomes are achieved
- Script and automate processes
- Ensure all programs comply with Amazon Information Security standards
- Manage and prioritize backlogs of customer requests
- Audit systems and documentation to ensure compliance with internal policies
- Build roadmaps for an assigned product which can be shared with stakeholders