With over 75 million users, 68 million reviews, and 2 billion books, Goodreads is the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations. Founded in 2007, Goodreads is a Top 100 web destination where readers find and share books they love. Loved by avid and casual readers alike, Goodreads members can discover new books by seeing what their friends are reading or by using the Goodreads Book Recommendation Engine, share ratings and recommendations, track what they have read, and list what they want to read. Goodreads is also a place where more than 100,000 authors connect with readers. Goodreads is a subsidiary of Amazon, Inc.
Goodreads is seeking a Data Scientist that will support a number of business leaders within Goodreads by becoming their go-to source for data modeling, reporting, insights, and guidance. He/she will guide decisions that impact the company’s future - based on carefully thought-out, well-executed, complex analyses and actionable insights. Do you naturally look for the story or the soul hidden in the numbers and have a knack for translating that story into one that non-analytical minds can grasp and rally behind? If so, read on.
The role will require an end-to-end understanding of data and reporting, and applying a range of data science techniques and tools combined with subject matter expertise to solve difficult business problems; working with business owners to understand and define their analytics needs; working with data engineering to acquire necessary data; building models, reports and performing analyses to draw insights; and finally working with the appropriate parts of the organization to implement changes based on those insights.
- Understand the Goodreads/Amazon data structures (MySQL/Data Lake/Redshift)
- Acquire data by building the necessary SQL / ETL queries. Import processes through various company specific interfaces for RedShift and Data Lake storage systems.
- Investigate the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to business problems
- Analyze data for trends and input validity by inspecting univariate distributions, exploring bivariate relationships, constructing appropriate transformations, and tracking down the source and meaning of anomalies.
- Build models using statistical modeling, mathematical modeling, econometric modeling, network modeling, social network modeling, natural language processing, machine learning algorithms, genetic algorithms, and neural networks.
- Validate models against alternative approaches, expected and observed outcome, and other business defined key performance indicators.
- Develop metrics to quantify the benefits of a solution and influence project resources.
- Partner with Engineering/Data Engineering to improve the quality of existing data and bring additional data sources in line
- Audit metric data and measure project progress and success.
- Build/automate reports/dashboards (in Tableau) that allow the business leaders to get a clear snapshot of their operations
- Design and analyze A/B tests to quantify impact of customer-facing changes
- Develop innovative experimental design and measurement methodologies to understand our customer growth and business efficacy
- Participate in discussions, team planning, office hours, and metric reviews
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
- Design and implement scalable and reliable approaches to support or automate decision making throughout the business.
- Communicate insights to the business partners, Goodreads leadership, and Amazon stakeholders - emphasizing clarity, completeness, and actionability
. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.