Software Development Engineer II -
We are looking for bright and passionate engineers to join our talented delivery team and help shape the Amazon compute strategy by building a highly available and latency sensitive platform to host thousands of Java services, operating at the core of Amazon’s business, at internet scale (tens of thousands of transactions per second). We enable Amazon’s internal developers to improve time-to-market by allowing them to simply launch their application code as a service, operating in a managed, tier-1, resource-efficient hosted environment. You will help improve resource usage efficiency, increase availability, decrease latency and improve the developer/operational experience for tenants.
These are exciting times in our space – even with 2300+ tenants serving over 322 billion request per week, we are still at an early stage and working on ambitious new initiatives where every member of the team can have significant technical and business impact.
In this role, you will be responsible for tackling core software engineering problems - distributed computing, resource usage efficiency, software isolation, fault tolerance and using AWS cloud technologies (EC2, ECS, Lambda, etc.) to architect highly scalable systems.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
· Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
· 4+ years professional experience in software development
· Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
· Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
· Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis]
· Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, Java, or Perl
· Experience in building large scale distributed systems
· Experience in scaling and performance tuning of large systems
· Experience with application containers
· Experience providing application hosting
· Experience with AWS and other cloud technologies
· Knowledge of Unix/Linux
· Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.