Amazon Web Service (AWS) operates 44 Availability Zones (AZs) within 16 geographic Regions around the world, with announced plans for 17 more AZs and six more Regions as of 2017, making AWS one of the fastest growing enterprise tech companies ever. Amazon’s AWS Data Centers (DC) are a major component of worldwide cloud-computing infrastructure and are industry leading examples of mission critical facilities.
Engineers in AWS work to design resilient, cost effective DC facilities. We are responsible for achieving a world class uptime (availability) for our customers and drive to develop a fleet of buildings emphasizing security, safety, and efficiency, while finding new ways to meet AWS’s growing demand. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make directly to AWS leadership and work hard to drive continuous advancements in our designs and operating parameters. As an Availability Engineer at AWS you will have oversight and responsibility for the successful improvement to operational availability through impactful change in the design, construction, operations and associated procedures. While balancing cost, security, safety, and efficiency, a focus on improvement of data center availability to meet and exceed customer expectations is the focus of the Availability Engineer.
AWS Availability Engineers are responsible for consultative and peer review of the design of all design disciplines within Amazon DCs world-wide. Beyond design focus, the Availability Engineering team works directly with operations, security teams, field engineering, construction management, and operations to implement processes and procedures, that are functional, practical and innovative with a primary focus on improvement of system availability.
The team is seeking a Senior DC Infrastructure Availability Engineer to lead availability efforts in the Americas Region and to become part of our global engineering leadership team. As a Senior Engineer you will be part of a highly creative and effective leadership team comprised of Architects, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Control Engineers, Field Engineers, and Operational leaders tasked with developing regional strategies for capacity delivery in Americas (owned/leased) and challenging the design, construction, test, and operational status quo. You will be responsible for the delivery of projects, applying quality controls, and providing technical guidance to team members. As a subject matter expert, you will be responsible for the availability of prototypical DC facilities, localization of conceptual innovations, solve large scale implementation and capacity issues, and build a strong relationships with the regional industry.
Anticipated travel not to exceed 25%
The Senior DC Infrastructure Availability Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Auditing and peer reviewing DC Infrastructure Engineering designs
- Develop strategic solutions which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary and redundancy requirements.
- Conceives, initiates, and leads projects with widespread impact on infrastructure design, innovation, and implementation.
- Sets the standard for customer serving coordination and repeatable processes as they relate to engineering, test, construction, commissioning, operations, and best practices. Drives process improvements across the organizations to drive increase in availability to meet customer expectation.
- Decompose complex problems into straightforward and actionable solutions.
- Be a leader within the group as well as within internal and external teams that support our data centers.
- Provide technical oversight of the Regional Electrical and Mechanical Basis of Design (BOD), Construction Documentation, SoWs, procurement initiatives, supplier management, commissioning scripts, operation and maintenance manuals and procedures, and all relevant products and processes that drive and impact availability.
- Serve as a technical advisor for AWS datacenter electrical, mechanical, structural, site, civil, security, network, fire detection and suppression and all design disciplines as they relate to and drive increased availability.
- Work with internal teams to understand user requirements.
- Work with local agencies having jurisdiction and certification agencies to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.