This position can be physically in New York City or Seattle, WA.
ComiXology, an Amazon.com, Inc. subsidiary, is a revolutionary, cloud-based digital comics service. With content from over 125 publishers as well as thousands of independent creators from around the world, comiXology provides an unrivaled library of comic books, graphic novels, manga and bandes dessinées. The company’s first-in-class innovations include the exclusive Guided View technology which provides an immersive and cinematic reading experience and a monthly subscription service. ComiXology is based in New York City, with operations in Seattle and Los Angeles.
Love comics, manga or graphic novels? Come be a leader at comiXology and Kindle, and impact the world of comics!
Are you a passionate leader with extensive experience driving strong profitable relationships with suppliers, vendors, publishers, and/or external partnerships? Do you have experience driving bottom-line results using data and negotiation skills? Are you an excellent communicator who can instinctively maneuver what can – and can’t – be shared to close deals outside your own organization?
ComiXology is looking for someone with extremely strong analytical skills who can help to create and use data-driven analytics for approaching our vendor negotiations and third-party partnerships. S/he will have end to end accountability for owning high level comics publisher and external partner relationships. Successful candidates will know how to create and use levers to manage complex negotiations, including defining (and realizing) resulting ROI.
In this role you will be a key member of the comiXology Business Development Team, working with other leaders to establish priorities, outline related partnership intiatives, and achieve business goals. You will have an ownership stake in our publisher and partner road map, and work across organizations at comiXology and Amazon to deliver value to our customers end-to-end.
You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level business development initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. We guarantee that you’ll learn a lot, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
Key responsibilities include:
- Own relationships (including negotiations) with comics publishers (vendors) that represent a significant percentage of the comics worldwide business.
- Define (and be accountable to achieve or exceed) contract, margin and subscription goals per vendor to ultimately impact comics’ bottom line.
- Build robust analytical and operating mechanisms to continually assess and provide optimized publisher service levels.
- Collaborate with internal partners and other related Amazon teams to provide publisher services.
- Tirelessly advocate for improvements to systems and processes that will benefit our business, associates and/or vendors.
- Actively identify, pursue and capture external partnerships that create unique opportunities for both new and existing comics fans to discover our digital comics.
- Maintain an appropriate effort vs. results mentality with external partnerships, consistently prioritizing the highest value opportunities.
- Assertively track results and prioritize future efforts appropriately.
- Even as an individual contributor, provide deep subject matter expertise in applying data analytics to publisher relationships and partnerships (business development) across the comics organization – including being a senior coach to the current Business Development team.
- Build a working culture where accountability, transparency, and collaboration are the norm and where rapid deep dives into root causes of defects causing vendor frustration is a standard operating practice.
- Work with our Finance team to analyze ROI and P&L improvements for all initiatives.
- Foster a work environment that respects and is responsive to the needs of a diverse staff.