We are a team working on audio, speech and language solutions that revolutionize how customers interact with Amazon’s products and services. Our mission is to push the envelope in automatic speech recognition (ASR), natural language understanding (NLU), and audio signal processing in order to provide the best possible experience for our customers.
As a Senior VUI Designer for voice and environmental interactions, you will be a part of a world class in-house creative team and work closely with key stakeholders and partners to deliver innovative spoken language interfaces for Amazon and Alexa experiences. This role requires an innovator, who will champion user-centered solutions for exciting and ambitious ideas for which interaction paradigms are still emerging. You will need to be working side-by-side with specialized product managers, scientists, and engineers to bring designs to life.
The Senior VUI Designer should have knowledge and practical experience in software design, from design concept creation to development and release. In partnership with design leadership, you will work collaboratively with leaders inside and outside of the Alexa organization to further ideation, prioritization, problem solving, and product delivery. You will also be responsible for conducting reviews with leadership with a strong ability to communicate customer and business impact of designs and other creative work.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Help to create and drive the overall design road map, with dependencies, inputs, and outputs to and from other internal and external teams.
- Establish design priorities by working with senior team members and aligning against the vision and our milestones.
- Create strong relationships and collaborate with Product Managers and Engineering on timelines and milestones to ensuring that all external and internal dependencies are met.
- Work effectively with agile, multi-disciplinary technical teams to evaluate the feasibility of proposed designs, and champion our CX vision in the face of technical constraints.
- Drive key design discussions across the product team(s) and advocate for the best solutions both technically and from a design perspective. Swiftly negotiate tradeoffs which result in a quality customer experience and on time/on budget delivery.
- Build respect and credibility with individual contributors, stakeholders, management peers and executives.
- Introduce, develop, and ensure best practices and communicate quality expectations organizationally.
- Brainstorm and bring new ideas to streamline collaboration between cross-functional/cross-business teams.
- Work with multiple design disciplines to ensure consistency of execution across varied domains, devices and platforms.
- Foster Amazon’s culture and principles within the group while setting new standards in executional and operational excellence.