Are you an operations truffle-hound? Do you have the knack to sniff out complex operational issues, dig them out, and systematically solve them?
We are seeking a talented Region Operational Excellence (ROE) Manager to help us evolve our practices, policies, and processes to improve commercial cloud services customer experience for national security, defense and law enforcement communities . Region operations managers are expert in a region's purpose, policies, and operational posture. We know the use cases of the customer, operations best practice, and drive operations to meet customer needs at Amazon scale. We drive out snowflakes and drive in region operational parity to ensure these regions to operate and deliver consistently with Commercial Regions.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is obsessed with raising the bar in our pursuit of delivering secure, highly available software defined infrastructure services. We develop new practices and sustain existing IT services through our rapid customer-driven pace of innovation. We build, operate, and maintain our global infrastructure through continuous integration/continuous deployment automation. As a region operations manager, you know there is always space to improve operations for greater efficiency to meet customer needs. You are reactive and proactive with operations. You have a sixth-sense about operations areas to improve. You use your high-judgement to act and solve them. When you see a problem area arise at a micro level, you identify and solve for cross-team risks at macro levels. You iterate practice, policy, and automation initiatives to continually improve operations for the benefit of our customers.
In this role you will
- Coordinate operations work with multiple AWS service team managers to plan, deploy, and support large scale AWS services and features
- Be obsessed with our customer's needs and drive them back into AWS service teams
- Data Dive operational support systems and dig out operations data artifacts to help us answer Operational Risk, Effort, and Priority questions for our service teams and customers
- Identify, collect and refine supporting key performance indicators (KPI) to produce informed technical designs for region-wide operations
- Monitor service trends to identify opportunities for improvements within existing frameworks, tools and processes to continuously improve systems
- Be a point of escalation for operational events, support best practices, and drive operational issues to resolution
- Provide operational clarity, communicate complex concepts across regional diverse technical domains, and drive organizational resolution
- Audit and improve system metrics, alarms, and architectures to increase availability and velocity at scale
- Devise, develop, and champion AWS best practices within and between teams
- Drive operational priorities to improve operations and deliver results
- Define ways to measure Risk and Velocity by producing scorecards from operational data artifacts
- Work with tools teams to define mechanisms to measure KPI, correlate them into cause/effect relationships, and use them to drive operationally excellent results
This position is perfect for someone who can think about the big picture and iterate operational improvements to get us there. If you insist on high operational standards and can think big to improve operations, this is the position for you.