The data center engineering team at Amazon Web Services is looking for a Principal Data Center Mechanical Engineer to develop bold and novel design solutions that drive industry standards for Data Center technology. AWS Data Center Global Services is responsible for the design and operation of industry-leading, large-scale, business critical global facilities. Each team member takes ownership to create, innovate and improve the design and function of the world’s largest data center fleet. Since Amazon owns everything in the datacenter ecosystem, from the substations down to the server chip design there is a unique opportunity make a big impact through a holistic approach to big challenges. Amazon innovates past these challenges to provide value to our customers. We are diverse, upbeat, creative, team-oriented engineers and managers working to develop architectures and technology that are driving future data center designs. Amazon Engineers are constantly challenged to quickly deliver the highest quality and most technically efficient data center designs in the world.Job Summary
The Principal Data Center Mechanical Engineer has the ability to understand customer demand, as well as the technology & business opportunities that exist, in order to lead the organization. They understand key problems, propose and analyze multiple solutions and lead the team to produce the most energy efficient, cost effective, and rapidly scalable mechanical designs achievable.
The Data Center Principal Mechanical Engineer provides the vision, rationale and recommendations to Amazon’s leadership for next-generation data center design while ensuring current systems meet performance and operational standards.Major Responsibilities
The Principal Mechanical Engineer is a leader and evangelist, working with and overseeing cross-functional teams which include: technical program management, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, control engineering, supply chain management, operations, end users, safety and security. Externally, they will provide high-level guidance to equipment and construction suppliers during specification reviews, design reviews and qualification test reviews. They will also participate in forums/consortiums to understand current trends and developments within the industry. Daily responsibilities include all aspects of the data center development lifecycle:
- Understand key aspects of status quo data center mechanical systems to the extent that key sources of: high capital/operational costs, reduced efficiencies, high-levels of maintenance, security issues and safety risks can be identified as improvement areas in next-generation data center designs.
- Own and actively oversee the definition, staffing and scoping of project & product teams focused on delivering innovations in next-generation data centers.
- Be responsible for and provide oversight for the review of the mechanical design and construction of new data centers and general capital endeavors.
- A demonstrated ability to produce business cases and analysis models including Total Cost of Ownership and Return on Investment.
- Be responsible for and oversee the creation of product & project specifications, requests for proposals, and capital requests.
- Work closely with hardware designers to optimize the interfaces between the IT equipment and the facility as well as understand the future trends and initiatives in IT equipment technology.
- Be responsible for and provide oversight of construction, including ownership of the project scope, timeline, and budget.
- Oversee and be responsible for the management of total product & project quality including:
- The creation, oversight and execution of commissioning plans.
- Conduct reviews of equipment and system performance with end-users during and after initial deployments.
- Record and report key metrics to team members and management.
- For issues that arise in data centers, drive teams to supply: root-cause analysis, quantify customer exposure, provide remediation, long-term corrective measures as well as ensuring these efforts are documented such that the issue doesn’t reoccur.
- Actively and aggressively grows and coaches the engineering team through one-on-one coaching and mentoring to ensure hiring and promotion of the top engineers both inside and outside Amazon.
- Actively oversees and plans engineering goals for key initiatives that support future projects and growth.
- Works independently and has frequent reviews with business leadership, other Principal Engineers and Sr Engineers across AWS.
- Actively facilitates the escalation of low-level project & product issue to senior engineering and business leadership.