The data center engineering team at Amazon.com is looking for highly technical and critical individual to solve the most challenging problems in our industry. Data Center Global Services is a global team responsible for the design and operation of industry-leading, large-scale, business critical facilities. Each team member is a highly motivated individual with demonstrated design and analytical expertise in mission-critical facilities. At Amazon we leverage unique opportunities presented to us by owning everything from the substation, to the server, and back to the cooling systems. We are diverse, upbeat, creative, team-oriented engineers and managers working on a daily basis to develop architectures and technology that are driving future data center designs. Amazon Engineers are constantly challenged to quickly deliver the highest quality and most technically efficient data centers in the world.
The Senior Data Center Mechanical Engineer understands key problems, proposes and analyzes multiple solutions to produce the most energy efficient, cost effective, and rapidly scalable mechanical designs achievable. Major Responsibilities are
1. Understand the key aspects of existing data center mechanical systems to the extent that key sources of: high capital/operational costs, reduced efficiencies, high-levels of maintenance, security issues and safety risks can be identified as improvement areas in next-generation data center designs.
2. Actively define, scope and participate in project & product teams focused on delivering innovations in next-generation data centers.
3. Provide direct influence over the mechanical design and construction of new data centers and general capital endeavors.
4. A strong understanding of business analysis and practices including Total Cost of Ownership and Return on Investment models.
5. Create product & project specifications, requests for proposals, and capital requests.
6. Work closely with hardware designers to optimize the interfaces between the IT equipment and the facility as well as understand the future trends and initiatives in IT equipment technology.
7. Provide total project management and oversight of construction, including ownership of the project scope, timeline, and budget.
8. Manage total product & project quality including:
· The creation, oversight and execution of commissioning plans.
· Conduct reviews of equipment and system performance with end-users during and after initial deployments.
· Record and report key metrics to team members and management.
· For issues that arise in data centers, drive teams to supply: root-cause analysis, quantify customer exposure, provide remediation, long-term corrective measures as well as ensuring these efforts are documented such that the issue doesn’t reoccur.
9. Grows and coaches the engineering team through interviews, hiring and one-on-one coaching and mentoring.
10. Plans and forecasts budgetary needs for the engineering group that support future projects and growth.
11. Works independently and has periodic reviews with Principal Engineers both inside and outside the DCGS organization as well as management reviews.