At Goodreads, we know just how transformative a great book can be. With more choices than ever, our passion is helping readers find the right book. With over 70 million users, 68 million reviews, and 2 billion books, Goodreads is the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations. Goodreads is also a place where more than 100,000 authors can connect and interact with their audience. Through our diverse community of readers, engaging products, and insightful editorial content, we help millions of people find stories and ideas they can't wait to share. Goodreads is also a subsidiary of Amazon, and that relationship helps us provide an even better experience for our users through our growing integration with the Kindle reading experience and unique ability to leverage the world’s largest bookstore.
As a Visual Designer, your focus will be to create beautiful, high-quality graphics for editorial, marketing, communications, and UX design purposes. You will report to the Director of UX and work in close collaboration with UX designers, editors, marketers, account managers, product managers, and members of our sales team. Over time, your work will contribute to a unified, consistent and high quality visual design language that will become part of our brand identity system. Who You Are
You are a talented, customer-focused designer with incredibly high standards and a passion designing visually compelling graphics such as editorial illustrations, advertising, and marketing graphics. You have a varied portfolio spanning professional-level work and personal projects that reflect a strong individual sense of aesthetics and an ability to conceptualize stylish, elevated ideas. A strong branding skillset is preferred. You will be able to take inbound requests from many internal clients, communicate progress towards deadlines, and work independently to prioritize and meet them without much oversight from the Goodreads design director.
You are a highly motivated, self-directed, enthusiastic, work well under pressure, and thrive in a deadline-driven environment. You also have strong organizational skills, digital expertise, intrinsic design abilities, typographic skills, and acute attention to detail. The ability to manage multiple projects and communicate with key stakeholders is essential.
This position is located in San Francisco and may require occasional (5%) travel to Seattle.Responsibilities
- Develop attractive editorial graphics for bi-weekly newsletters, blog entries, and special event landing pages.
- Work with our advertising team and our advertising partners to create campaigns, including page skins and special advertising sections, which run on Goodreads web sites and apps.
- Collaborate with our ad sales team to develop materials that explain the Goodreads advertising opportunity to potential clients.
- Help us drive member acquisition through marketing graphics that run on Kindle, Facebook and other social media outlets.
- Work with our communications team to create press-ready screenshots and graphics for public presentations.
- Work cross-functionally with multiple teams, including design, sales, marketing and communications teams, and the broader Amazon organization, to ensure a high standard for visual design across all interfaces and platforms.
- Maintain stylistic consistency across production assets, enhancing and reinforcing the Goodreads brand through style guidelines.
- Drive the design process by presenting conceptual visual designs to the design team and project stakeholders before carrying those concepts to pixel-perfect, production-ready assets.
- Fulfill requests from multiple internal clients while meeting and prioritizing tight deadlines, working independently without much oversight from your manager or your peers.