Have you ever thought about helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies?
Amazon Web Services is a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. We are building some of the largest and most complex distributed systems in the world, and we need world class people to help us implement and operate them.
We provide organizations with building block web services that allow them to innovate faster and operate their software more cost-effectively. These services-in-the-cloud include on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, querying of structured data, message queuing, and more.
The AWS team is building and delivering the next generation of cloud computing that supports public AWS offerings. We are innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed systems.
We have high standards for our computer systems as well as our employees: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, and must function at massive scale; our employees are super smart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with.
On a “typical” day, system engineers might deep dive to root cause a customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss radical new approaches to automate operational issues. We are looking for a seasoned Systems Engineer to join our energetic, fast-moving and passionate team. This is an opportunity to operate and engineer systems on a massive scale, and to gain top-notch experience in cloud computing. You'll be surrounded by people who are smart, passionate about cloud computing, and believe that world class service is critical to customer success. You'll become a excelent at AWS Services platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will design and build the operational scalability that sustains the platform's substantial growth. You will measure your success and it will be visible.
You will define operational metrics and procedures for software components in multiple environments. You will also be a key player to ensure new services comply with the highest security, availability and scalability standards.
Specific duties include:
· Serve as local team liaison responsible for finding areas where the Operations team can improve support to the developer teams.
· Provide team leadership and technical mentorships to junior team members.
· Own and efficiently manage all assigned tasks and on-call duties.
· Invent or improve existing application and system management tools and processes that simplify manual efforts and increase overall efficiency.
· Own and execute configuration management procedures for software installation and upgrades.
· Participate in the design and execution of production acceptance tests.
· Monitor the health of the fleet of systems around the world, automating system health, perform maintenance tasks, and support reporting systems as needed.
· Create, configure, and support virtual machine creation across the fleet.
The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator that thrives in operating complex systems, diagnosing and resolving hard technical problems. You are fast on your feet and excited by the challenge of working in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift quickly. You must be able to triage situations quickly and work equally well with developers, engineers, and external customers to bring about swift problem resolution that are dynamic enough to be applied across multiple services as necessary.
Our engineers are expected to be self-directed and self-driven. They take ownership of all aspects of their career and their support to our customers. We provide tools for research and investigation with the ability to reach out to teammates if you get stuck, but generally speaking expect to be given little direction to complete your tasks on a daily basis.