Yard Jockey Specialist Job Description
Amazon is pioneering new products, services, and technologies within its expansive transportation network. It is building a system and capability to ensure that its carriers are successful and its customers’ packages are delivered as quickly, accurately, and cost effectively as possible. To meet this goal, Amazon is continually striving to innovate and provide best in class service levels.
As a Yard Specialist, you will assist operations in an active trailer yard, performing a variety of duties including operating a spotter truck. Preferred candidates will have at least six months of commercial driving experience in a vehicle of similar size, weight, and controls as a terminal tractor and proficiency in backing trailers into dock doors and parking slips; demonstrate strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills; good communication with diverse audiences; ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment; and a commitment to building strong, collaborative relationships with colleagues and outside vendors. Responsibilities:
· Correspond with multiple shipping companies and demonstrate comprehensive understanding of shipping systems, requirements, rules and obligations to support yard organization and minimize delays.
· Conduct daily coordination with fulfillment center operations departments, transportation peers and carriers to ensure all trailers arrive and depart on time with zero defects.
· Maintain the accuracy and integrity of the trailer yard through meticulous attention to detail and daily yard audits.
· Consolidate data from multiple sources to support daily workflow and business needs.
· Operate spotter truck, moving trailers between trailer yard and dock doors and logging all trailer moves to maintain accurate yard inventory.
· Support production by following all safety measures and policies and demonstrating safe behavior. Basic Qualifications
· High School Diploma or equivalent required
· Experience in Microsoft Office applications
· Must be flexible for daily overtime and varying schedules as needed
· Must have a valid driver’s license and Amazon background check
· Must complete Amazon.com yard driver training
· Ability to:
· Stand and/or walk throughout a minimum eight-hour shift
· Lift and move packages, most weighing 35 pounds or less
· Regularly bend, lift, stretch and reach below the waist and above the head
· Climb in and out of the spotter truck numerous times per day, hooking and unhooking trailers Preferred Qualifications
Preferred candidates will have at least two years commercial driving experience in a vehicle of similar size, weight, and controls as a terminal tractor and proficiency in backing trailers into dock doors and parking slips; demonstrate strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills; good communication with diverse audiences; ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment; and a commitment to building strong, collaborative relationships with colleagues and outside vendors; hold an existing Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or ability to obtain CDL
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.