Are you an experienced people manager and an influential technical leader? Are you equally comfortable diving deep in technical problems as you are overseeing broad inter-organizational processes? Do you have a knack for getting things done while insisting on the highest engineering standards? Amazon Payment Products wants you to join our organization to lead a team of Technical Program Managers (TPMs) that plan, execute and launch multiple simultaneous programs in a cross-team, cross-functional, and cross-region environment which includes internal customers, dependencies on dozens of teams at Amazon, and multiple external partners (financial institutions, credit bureaus, lenders, banks, etc). Why you:
You have expertise managing and launching successful products in a fast-moving environment, and will be able to coach and support your team in doing the same. You’ll provide technical guidance and process leadership to your team and the broader Payments organization. You have relentlessly high standards for yourself and everyone you work with, and you’ll be constantly looking for ways to improve your product’s performance, quality and time to market.
As a TPM Manager, you exhibit excellent judgement, anticipate bottlenecks, see around corners, lead escalations, prioritize well and make tradeoffs (important vs. urgent), and you can balance the business needs with technical constraints and engineering excellence. You view obstacles as interesting problems to solve, and are pragmatic, creative and tenacious in delivering solutions.
You think about payments services as a platform, and will scale our business by building robust engineering solutions that can be replicated across partners and geographies. You have the ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications and high-level designs, then deliver them successfully and timely. A high degree of professional maturity, collaboration and negotiation skills, ability to influence with crisp, clear and compelling communication are essential to success in this role. Why us?
Amazon Payment Products is a fast-growing, fast-moving organization that builds and launches disruptive payment products for our customers across the many geographies where Amazon operates. We are the team that launched the 5% rewards credit cards in the US as well as other Amazon co-branded credit cards in Germany, Japan, Canada, and the UK. We enable customers to use rewards points on Amazon, we built the Amazon global installments lending platform, and we enable cross-border shopping in your local currency. Hundreds of millions of customers use our products, and we are strategically positioned to accelerate Amazon’s growth both domestically in the U.S. as well as international markets. You will have a direct and significant impact on our bottom line and the ability to improve the work environment for our organization from Product Managers to Developers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership and responsibility for defining and executing processes that will impact the productivity of hundreds of engineers in the Payments organization and across Amazon. This is a fast-paced, intellectually challenging position, and you’ll work with thought leaders in multiple technology areas across the entire company and external payments partners. Payments is the fabric that weaves throughout all of Amazon – working in this organization means you get to learn how the entire Amazon ecosystem works, from catalog and product search to checkout experience, tax, accounting, and of course payments. Key Responsibilities
- Oversee a team of TPMs leading multiple simultaneous product development programs
- Embrace and channel Amazon Leadership Principles, and establish a culture of delivering results with high standards
- Provide technical and process leadership in software development, embracing an iterative methodology
- Manage the intake for new feature requests across multiple business roadmaps
- Develop and execute project plans and run the day-to-day project needs
- Work closely with product and development managers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Identify, assess and mitigate risks, anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, and make trade-offs
- Drive effective team work, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities.
- Run capacity planning across multiple businesses to maximize efficient use of resources and technologies.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and team performance to leadership